The day and life of a student teacher

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Deep Discussion

Yesterday I attempted something new: deep, menaingful converstaion about real-world issues. I know, I know, sounds too much for sixteen-year-olds to handle, but it worked well! It was time to talk about racial inequality (since I chickened-out and never had a discussion with them about the use of the n-word in the book). I gave them horrifying statistics: 44% of all US prisoners are black, while only 12% of the US population is black. I had to explain what a census was, which I didn't expect. First period was much quieter than third. I imagine they are still sleeeping. Third period had a great discussion that quickly turned to the legalization of marijuana, which I had expected. Fifth period was upset with me for not having statistics for Latinos and Mexican Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment