The day and life of a student teacher

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pedagogy of What?

I spent last night in the library, busily researching a paper I'm writing. I just learned about Paulo Freire, the godfather of critical pedagogy. He wrote The Pedagogy of Opression, which plays a large role in service learning education. Apparently, there are three main camps of education: conservative/traditional, progressive/liberal and critical. Dewey, the father of experiential learning, criticizes both traditional and progressive education . Dewey says that education is inseprable from democracy.

So, when my professor mentioned Dewey in class and received a room full of blank stares, I knew something was wrong. I had only encountered Dewey briefly in my Special Education class, and did not know his story. I feel like the more I learn, the less I know.

How are we going to be good teachers if we are not aware of the great philosphers who shaped our educational policy?

How are we going to defend our teaching methods when we cannot name them correctly, or comprehend them within the greater sphere of education?

I have been teaching on gut instinct. My college courses gave me a toolbox of methods and practices I can use in the classroom. But I have no idea where these come from or on what ideals they are based. I used to cling to the idea of teaching critical thinking. Our future is uncertain and by teaching kids to think critically they can learn to adapt. Now I am so unsure of the purpose of education.

I do not see students as empty vessels to fill, but as young people who need guidance. Literature is a place where they can find some guidenace about how to interact with others and be happy in their own lives.

I feel lucky to have another year of schooling. I think I'll just go for my PhD actually...


No comments:

Post a Comment